Took some time, but it is here, the update 0.65 for Boss Golf closed alpha!
Changelist for this version includes:
- Fixed issue where golfers couldn’t acquire an open hole if the number of open holes was less than the number of available holes.
- Added a radar display for overview of the golfer abilities.
- Separated golfers into rankings: Casual, Recreational, Serious, Competitive, Professional, and Legend. Rankings determine the starting ability of the golfers. After a lot of play, once their attributes increase, they may achieve a higher rank. This system will tie in with the “perks” system that I described some time ago.
- Added proper calculations for draw, fade, hook, push, pull, and pure. Now when golfers hit the ball, based on their attributes, there’s a chance for either of these forces to be added to the golfer. Includes your own golfer! (Right now no way to increase it, so bear with it)
- Added golfer dominant hand, now you’ll see golfers taking a stance according to their main hand.
- Increased variety of golfer thoughts and improved the display of the thoughts in the character panel. Added more thoughts for analyzing the results of a hole playthrough.
- Improved calculations for stroke generation to give golfers better/more realistic options. There’s still some issues with some edge cases, since we can’t set OB areas yet. Once that’s in, it should be more accurate.
- Added a display for the state of the hole (open or closed).
- Added a panel showcasing the statistics of the hole (average score, number of plays etc).
- Added a panel showing a history of plays on that hole with the ability to see the shots. Simply click the play you’d like to see, and it will be shown. Golfers also keep a memory of their playthrough at any given hole.
- Added shot evaluation buttons based on golfer ranking. In the Edit panel of the Hole panel, you can click on the button for each golfer ranking, and see more or less the average path they will take. Works with multiple tees as well.
- Closing a hole will now make the AI abandon the current hole, if they are queuing for it or playing it. May lead to bad thoughts 😉 (The player will never be booted)
- Fixed issue with golfers roaming outside the resort grounds.
- Tweaked the graphics of the terrain by adding some better boundary effects. Still heavily work in progress.
- Increased the size of the character collider to make it easier to click them.
- Added snapping option for decorations. On the decoration selection, you’ll see a little magnet button that you can toggle to snap the decoration. It’ll snap on a 1 meter grid.
- Tweaked speeds for detecting when the ball successfully enters the hole.
Phew! That’s it for 0.65. Now onwards to 0.66. And also might have some bigger news to share soon!
Finally released the 0.54 update to Boss Golf closed alpha!
It’s available in the same place as usual. (If you haven’t signed up for the alpha, you can do so here!)
The main focus of this update was getting the new path system in the game, and it has been implemented. Comes with 6 different types of path you can use. Later on, I’ll add the ability to choose the width too.
As well as the brand spanking new UI that I’ve talked about in a previous post! Give it a try, and let me know how it feels!
As always, bugs are to be expected and whatnot. I’d love if you guys could let me know of any issues you find, or features you’d like to see in the game! Our Reddit is a great place for it, so is our Discord channel!
Anywho, it’s here, enjoy making some new paths and the new UI.
After much wrestling with the physics system in Unity, Boss Golf alpha has been updated to version 0.53!
Features included in this version:
- Improvement on the grass shader
- Scaled the entire world for better physics/effects/everything. Now each ingame square is about 10 yards long. As a result, your holes will take over much more space in the game world. (Previously, they were about 25 yards long)
- Day/Night color variation on the lighting
- Physics adjustments
- Improvements on the AI
- New terrain shader (temporary!)
And as for bugs:
- Landscaper will now update the terrain after placing it. It had stopped doing so thanks to the division of the meshes
- Fixed the angles for the Wedge clubs
- Several fixes related to the physics of the game
- Improved handling of the chunks and terrain bits
And that’s about it. Adjusting the scale of the entire world took a lot longer than I expected, and brought about several unforeseen complications that were promptly fixed.
As a result of the changes, we’ve had to update the version of the save file, which means you’ll start off with a new golf course.
That’s all for now folks! Now I can focus on getting the paths improved, then the hole creator, then the water tool, and we’ll reach 0.6!
Been hard at work this week tackling some bugs found by our testers, and beginning the implementation for the next features.
0.52 also marks a change of development. Previously, I’d slave away at my dark and cold basement until the next big version was released, and the task list represented the work being done.
From now, the task list will still contain the updated information, but the features will be implemented on the road to their desired version number; put it simply, if a feature says 0.6, it means that if you play version 0.6 of the game, you will have that feature available; the feature itself, however, may have been available since 0.53, or 0.55, or whathave you.
This way I can ensure fresher builds of the games out for you to test and find bugs, as well as fixing bugs quicker!
So for the changelist in 0.52:
- Improved shot difficulty calculation for the golfers
- Raised the difficulty of shots containing trees and whatnot on the way
- Tees are now marked with little stakes on the sides, pointing towards the hole, as opposed to a single dot
- First pass at the new grass shader
- Divided the rendering of the terrain into separate meshes, in anticipation for quality up
And for fixes:
- Clicking path no longer brings up the terrain height panel
- Clicking the mouse at the end of loading no longer exits the game
- Golfers now wait a couple of seconds for the previous golfer to clear the course before playing
- Balls now disappear after the golfer exits the course
- AI no longer moves around when the game starts paused
- AI now properly taking advantage of the brain in calculating shots
- Mouse edge scrolling and WASD scrolling now have the same speed
- Reduced the area for edge scrolling to avoid scrolling when clicking the UI
And that’s all for now! Going to continue working on the overhauling of the terrain system, and am planning on tackling a new way of placing the paths for 0.53, based on suggestions from Friar, our amazing tester!
You can download the updated version in the same place as usual. Conversely, apply for the closed alpha for access!
So, turns out implementing procedural colliders was easier than I had anticipated, so I did it! This should hopefully reduce the incidence of AI characters falling through the ground! At least during testings in the editor, I left the game run for a couple of in-game days, and there was no error messages of them falling through. So it should be good!
Here’s it in action:
You can see the grid of 9 or so cubes walking under the player character. This way the character is guaranteed to be standing on solid ground even as he walks.
So, NOW, I’m done with 0.4! And I can focus on 0.5. For real this time you guys. Already began scripting some of the new AI behavior that currently breaks the game because it’s not fully implemented! So, no turning back now!
In any case, enjoy! You know where to find the alpha by now, and if you haven’t signed up yet, you can still do so here!
Thanks to some very quick feedback, I’ve done some fixes to alpha 0.4, bringing it to 0.42!
Here’s what’s changed:
- Added a hashing effect to the planning tiles so you can better distinguish between them
- Increased movement speed for AI characters
- Reduced time for placing tiles/decoration
- Balanced the scale randomizer of the decoration tiles
- Improved the presentation of text in the UI, much more legible now!
- Fixed issue with the ball being always visible even behind objects and stuff
- Fixed not being able to place decoration pieces on planning tiles
- Made some menus close when opening other menus, to reduce clutter on the screen
So quite a nifty list!
Still, there’s some issues with the AI simply stopping the play of golf. It could be that they accidentally fell through somewhere. In that case, simply restart the game and it should fix it. Since it’s a more difficult issue, I’ll need to take a closer look at how to work around it.
That’s all for now, folks!
It took a little longer than I expected, but the closed alpha for Boss Golf has been updated to 0.4!
Some of the changes included in this update:
- Tile and decoration execution moved to the landscaper
- Resort’s opening and closing time now matter
- Bulldozer only affects planned zones (can’t remove decoration pieces yet)
- Money and transaction recording system implemented
- Spaced out the loading of the scene and added a loading screen
- Decoration system reworked to allow for more freedom of placement
- Order system revamped to work with decorations and tiles
Because of the array of changes in this version, your 0.3 save change won’t be compatible with this new release. It would take me a lot of precious time to create a save converter at this moment.
The changes in decoration are quite massive, though. The previous system will still be used for the scenario editor, where you just really wanna sketch out the level for your scenario. But this new one gives you a lot more control over placement, so that you can really customize things to your liking. If you have any request for tools or feedback, feel free to comment on our reddit or our discord!
So that’s it for 0.4. It drastically changed the flow of gameplay, slowing things down quite a bit, and implemented a host of systems that I’ll take full advantage of in development.
For 0.5, I’m going to focus on the AI again, giving them proper ways of evaluating/thinking a hole, more behaviors, more character generation, and a couple more things I wanna keep under wraps for now! Timing for 0.5 is early March.