Newest version is finally here! Boss Golf is now at alpha 0.5!
New features in this version include: (For more information on scheduled tasks, check out the task roadmap!)
- AI Needs System
- AI Thoughts System
- AI Confidence which affects their golf play
- AI Brain for better/more interesting generation of choices through a course
- Updated golf gameplay with a selection of clubs
- Possibility to pan the character panel directly to the AI
- Auto pan the camera when the mouse moves to the edges
- Panel for showing progress on the hole
Some bug fixes in this version include: (For more information on currently reported bugs, check out the bug board!)
- Wrong tooltip for paths
- Grid tooltip also showing path tooltip
- Resort info window not being moveable
- Paths not connecting to gree/hole/tee/building tiles
- Landscaper moves too slow
- UI gets stuck on finalizing
So yeah, this update focused on AI, and some more quality of life fixes. Check it out!
Today’s update, is about AI gameplay!
After integrating the basic state machine for the AI, I’ve also added a function that allows it to take a very simple shot (basically, aim at the hole, hit as hard as it can inside the distance to hole) and, as a result, the AI in Boss Golf can now play golf!
For the test scene, I’ve built a course with 4 holes:
The holes are all connected by their tee at the center. Spaced them out this way to remove other potential interference. I also added two golfers: Liger Forest, and Ryu.
The holes now have an option to open or close them. Opening them tells the AI they can be used for play. The AI will then queue up for their turn at the hole, and play it when the player in front of them has finished. And it all works!
For debugging, you’ll see a yellow line which marks the path that the AI wants to take, and a purple line which marks the direction of the stroke.
Here you can see the Liger taking a basic strike:
And at another hole, Liger teeing off:
And here you can see both golfers playing on separate holes:
It’s in. Now there’s some work to be done on smoothing out movement and fixing some collision problems. But the basic skeleton of the system is there. Once I add saving/loading, I’ll update alpha to 0.3!