Today’s update for Boss Golf is about pathfinding. Well, part of it.
I’ve added a new tile type, Path, that allows you to build more scenic routes through your golf course, that the AI will use when deciding how to go from point A to point B. You can see the tile in the course below:
Next step is to add this to the pathfinding system, so that the AI actually prefers to use it. Should be done with that this week.
Under the hood I’ve also done some other improvements:
- Created a vertex bank so that editing it is quicker, there’s no more issues of double vertexes, and is it far easier to save/load.
- Changed the height system to one using an integer to decide the HeightStep of the vertex, and set a height modifier that I can change easily for tweaking that decides how much in Y each HeightStep is worth
- Removed the current component for the decoration objects, which was causing some overheard when there were thousands of decoration objects on the scene. Instead, added a simpler class that pretty much works as a struct to keep information, and modified the way that the randomization of size/rotation/position is done to use integers so that I can more easily save/load the details of the decoration
- Began reformatting a couple of things so that I can actually save and load the stuff that is being built
As such, the goal for Alpha 0.3 is:
- Save and Load capabilities
- Pathfinding system for the AI
- Golf gameplay for the AI
Meaning that Alpha 0.3 will be quite a vertical slice! You’ll be able to build your course, play it, and watch the AI go around trying to score something good. The game is coming along well!
I’m getting my winter break soon as well, so expect a major rush of progress this coming week!
That’s all for now, folks! Enjoy your holidays!